Frequently Asked Questions

Will a process server file my papers with the court?
Yes, most process servers, offer this. It’s likely that you will have to pay an additional fee for this service, because of the legal support filing document.

Can papers be faxed or mailed?
Normally, original documents don’t need to be served, In many cases you will be able to fax or email papers to the process server.

What is a Proof Of or Affidavit of Service?
After the defendant or witness has been served with the legal documents or papers, the proof of or Affidavit of service is filed in the court. One should also have an extra filed copy stamped by the court confirming proof of filing.

What is a substitute service?
When the process server is able to serve you indirectly by giving the documents to another court-approved friend or family member, publishing the process, sending it by mail, or dropping it off at workplace. However, may be sub-served only after due diligence is established (usually by making 3 attempts). Individual courts may have stricter requirements.

What is skip tracing?
Proceeding with a court action can be difficult when the party to be served with papers has disappeared. People can move, change their phone numbers, get married and use different names. It can be almost impossible to find out where they are. One of the benefits of working with process server is that they are also skip trace professionals. Along with serving papers, they also find those on whom papers must be served.

What is a summons?
A summons is an official notice of a lawsuit. It is given to the person being sued, the defendant. If you sue someone, they need to be told about it so they can come to court and prepare to defend themselves. When you serve the defendant with a summons, you officially tell them they’re being sued. You must follow the rules for giving the summons to the defendants to properly file your case.

How do I send a summons?
If you sue someone, you must serve them with a summons. This gives them notice of the lawsuit. “Service of process” is the formal name for giving a defendant a summons to come to court. Each defendant must get individual service. You cannot serve the defendant yourself. You must serve a summons in one of three ways:

  • Service by the Sheriff
  • Service by a Private Process Server
  • Service by Certified Mail (only available in certain cases)

What is a subpoena?
A subpoena is a court order. It requires someone to come to court, go to a deposition, or give documents or evidence to you. In a deposition, someone answers questions about a legal case, under oath. If you need a witness to come to court or give a deposition, you can serve them with a subpoena. You can also use a subpoena to get evidence from a person not involved in the lawsuit. You can also use a subpoena to get documents from a company.

Why choose a Process server?
If the Sheriff cannot serve the defendant, you may want to try a private process server. The Sheriff only needs to try service once, and the defendant might not be home at the time. A private process server will try to serve your summons more than once.

Should I go with the Routine, Rush, or Priority Service?
Generally. If you need your service completed within 2 days we recommend Rush service.